More people today use personal mobile devices like smartphones and tablets for business purposes. Such devices, coupled with greater Wi-Fi accessibility and cloud services, have empowered us with the ability to access data and do business from practically anywhere at any time. But what about the potential consequences associated with this mobility revolution? Are small business owners doing enough preemptive planning to address potential risks like Winter Springs mobile device management?
Needless to say, many small-to-medium sized business owners have embraced the BYOD (Bring-Your-Own-Device) revolution. The benefits are obvious; increased employee productivity, enhanced services to customers/clients, and better overall customer and employee satisfaction.
Winter Springs Mobile Device Management - Questions Every SMB Should Ask
First, it is important that small business owners honestly assess whether their systems, networks, data, and overall infrastructure are ready for the use of an array of mobile devices.
- What particular devices or applications are permissible for work use? Assuming security requirements are in place, not every device or application will meet those.
- Will anyone in the company is tasked with the daily management of BYOB strategies? What should BYOD policies cover and what kind of management solutions will be needed?
- Would a BYOD management tool that collects device information, deploys and monitors usage, and offers insight into compliance be helpful?
- Which costs will be the responsibility of the employee? This pertains to any fees associated with usage - from network plans to the device itself, to software, accessories and maintenance costs.
- What data will be accessible? Will data encryption be necessary for certain information traveling through the personal devices of employees? Which employees will have read, write, update/delete privileges?
- What is the process when handling sensitive data stored on lost or stolen devices, or the personal devices of ex-employees? Does the company or organization have the right to wipe out the entire device or just corporate data and apps?
BYOD is here to stay as it affords smaller-sized companies the mobility of a corporate giant without a huge investment. But when it comes to ensuring that devices, applications, and networks are safe from the variety of threats linked to greater mobility, small business owners may find it necessary to enlist the help of a managed services provider to adequately take on Winter Springs mobile device management.